Friday, October 19, 2007

Selected Entry # 3

First Hello…
By Stephanie Roque

Every couple would want to have a wonderful “how they met” story to tell their kids and grand children. The kind of story that would make their grandkids sigh and say, “I want my story to be just like Lolo and Lola”. In our case, I don’t think neither our kids nor grand children would want to have our kind of story. How we met is always a funny story to tell. There wasn’t any love at first sight…kilig moment kinda thing. Instead, there was a bit of a screaming and cursing; definitely not a typical first meeting.

I am Steph, the spoiled brat bride to be. And this is our story.

Regie was an officemate of my college friend Claudet, one day he saw my picture in Claudet's wallet and asked who I was. One kwento led to another - and he asked if he could get my number. She then gave my number (without my friend asking me first?). He first texted me, a casual “Hi, How are you?” message, since his number was not registered in my phonebook, I asked who he was. He told me casually “This is Regie”. I thought he was Regie my “girl” friend who texted. It was a casual hi hello “you’re my friend” kinda text conversation (maybe he thought that my friend already gave me a heads up that she gave my number to one of his friends, because he didn’t bother anymore to introduce himself further at this point).

When my sister came home I told her that Regie (girl friend who I thought he was) changed her number and texted me, to my surprise my sister said, “No, she didn’t change her number” and I was like, “if that's not Regie who is this Regie texting me?” Intrigued, I decided to give this “Regie” a call and I was so surprised to hear a male voice on the other line!

I still remember every detail of our first phone conversation, so here it goes…

Steph: Sino toh? (me totally surprised that it was a male voice on the other line)Regie: Si RegieSteph: Sinong Regie?Regie: Si Regie Acuyado (he sounded surpised why I am asking)Steph: Wala akong kilalang Regie Acuyado! Sino toh?!? (I’m a bit furious at this point and wondering who this guy I am talking to is)James? (a friend who I thought was pulling a prank on me)? James? Ikaw ba yan?
P*&*@**@I*&%^ ka! (You know the exact words... just have to censor this part)Regie (Shocked and petrified that I'm being hysterical): Hindi ako si James... Si Regie Acuyado ako...Steph: Pwes Wala akong kilalang Regie Acuyado! (me hanging up)
--- End of first conversation ---

After a few minutes my friend Claudet called and asked me what I did to his officemate. I told her that I didn't know, she didn’t tell me she was giving out my number to anyone, and I thought he was someone who was pulling a crazy prank on me. I was so apologetic to my friend that I screamed and cursed at his officemate, only to realize it was him again on the other line listening to me apologizing and embarrassed by what I did.
What a way to make a first impression to someone. Amazingly, after that momentous phone conversation, he still continued to text me. He then bravely asked for my home number and that is when we started to really get to know each other. He sounded like a really nice guy and I really enjoyed his company. I was working on graveyard back then so it was like so impossible for us to meet. After a month I resigned from my work, and started on a new job that was very near his work place. During the same time he finally he got the courage to ask me out and meet up with him.

Our first meeting… hmmmm another cool story to tell.

We decided to meet at the RCBC Plaza at around 5:30pm. He got caught up in an office meeting and said that he was going to be a bit late. The “a bit late” wasn’t exactly just a bit… I waited for two long hours! Since we have been texting and talking for quite a while already, I decided to wait and just get over the “first” meeting with this guy. Que sera sera. So we met, had dinner and good conversation. After that evening, he stayed in “visible” in my life. In short, “talagang inaraw-araw nya” to see me (except for Sundays).

There wasn’t any courtship, we just dated. We dated for three weeks straight, and after a Harry Potter movie, while parked in front of Starbucks West Ave. at 3am in the morning, he asked me. “Anu na ba tayo?”, I said, “Anu ba ang gusto mo?”, he then said in his most masculine way, “ If you ask me, gusto na kita maging girlfriend”, I then asked him, “Gagaguhin mo ba ako?”, his answer, “Never”. That was 16 November 2002, we officially became a couple.

Early this year, we decided to get married. There wasn't really a down on his knees kind of proposal. It was on our 2nd going on 3rd year of our relationship that we started talking seriously about our future together aka Getting Married. When the wedding topic is discussed, it would always end up with the phrase - "ipon pa tayo beh".
Then it just happened. One night of our usual "before bed time phone conversation", we started really talking about ' getting married' and how our savings will never be enough... it would forever be a never ending "ipon pa tyo" kind of thing. Before we ended the night - he said - "cge nga, lets see - meet Dhang "our wedding coordinator friend" kung how much budget we need to work on, then let's see". I was like “You serious?” he said...Yes. The next thing we know, we were in Halfmoon (our favorite Friday night chill out place) armed with bridal magazines, paper, pen and calculator making budgets, guest list, wedding dates, church choices and when to tell our parents about the plan.

It’s true what people say, you will find the right love at the right time, it can start as tragic as our first phone conversation, but it can end with a trip to the aisle and pledging your love hanggang pagtanda, just like ours.


Steph Roque marries Regie Acuyado on January 5, 2008 in San Agustin Church. Reception follows in Teatrillo Intramuros.

No comments: