Friday, October 19, 2007

Selected Entry # 2

AMOR VINCIT OMNIA (Via Badminton Game!)
By Monalyn Panganiban

I was reminded of this Latin phrase when I received an email from a friend. Indeed, Love conquers all. Going back to the past, thinking about my previous life, I can attest to the truthfulness of this phrase. I have loved and lost but I never lost faith in that emotion, that feeling called love. When I felt that the whole world was against me, when no one would listen to what I have to say, I hold on to that faith. That someday, someone will come along and everything will be alright again.

Somebody did come along! Edwin did not sweep me off my feet. There was no 'magic' moment the first time we met. It was the opposite and actually funny how it all started. I was so 'naiinis' with this guy when I got to play with him during a badminton game. I vividly remember that I was able to hit Edwin hard at the chest with the shuttlecock because I was getting too worked up that I wanted to smash him with my badminton racket.

I was not expecting him to accompany me home afterwards (Edwin reasoned that it was really late and that it was too dangerous for me to go home by myself). I was not the weakling type of girl but up to now I could not remember what made me consent to that for after all, he did get into my nerves! Maybe as a retribution, I made him walk with me from the jeepney stop to our house even though we can ride the sidecar plying the way.

After that fateful day, we started to communicate through email. The 'hi" and 'hello' kind of email and forwarded messages which often ended up with me being irritated with him. On one rare occasion, Edwin handed me a chocolate in the office which I happily accepted since chocolates always uplifts my mood but I purposely showed it off to my officemates too , making him a little uneasy. Serves him right! I just knew later that he thought he had offended me on one of his e-mails and gave me the chocolate as a peace offering!

When one of my closest friends in the office got sick of varisella infection, Edwin insisted to go with me to the hospital. That night was the start of our lengthy phone conversations until the time that we realized we are both feeling something much greater than friendship. When Edwin confessed to me about what he was feeling, I was sad and happy at the same time. Sad, because I do not yet want to go
into another relationship (I wanted to clear everything from my previous relationship) and happy because God knows what I needed that time. A friend that understands me and a confidante that I can fully trust. He did give me a lot more. A lot more than I was praying for. At the least unexpected time and unforeseen circumstances, He had made me meet that 'somebody'. Someone I will be willing to spend the rest of my life with. I was thankful of that day. Thankful to the people who, unconsciously, helped both of us to find each other. We never really know what life will throw our way. Like in my case, I never thought that the one I was waiting for to come was already near me, in the same office area where I worked. It only needed a 'badminton game' to get us to know each other.

Now, I am a happily engaged woman. There is no fear in me for the future that is to come. For I know that together, Edwin and I will be able to overcome anything that life will throw at us. Together, we will begin our journey to a life of togetherness, full of the unknown.

Oh, by the way, that 'badminton game' never got a repeat. Until this day, “honey” and I never got to play badminton together again. I do not know if it is because of our busy schedule but I know for a fact that God used that event to put us together. A year and a half from the time we became a couple, we will be tying the knot. Some say that it’s too early for us to decide (fact: he proposed to me 6 months into the relationship) but love beckons to us. And we are more than happy to follow ☺

Monalyn B. Panganiban will marry Edwin Hipolito on March 8, 2008 at St. Pancratius Chapel (Paco Park ). Reception follows at Ramon Magsaysay Center Hall

No comments: